Wednesday 12 January 2011

AIR CRASH NEAR BERRY EDGE

Can anyone help with a source of Polish casualties in British squadrons. I have recently heard 2 versions of a story about a Spitfire or Hurricane which crashed in Consett,County Durham. The only reason it would be there would be to defend the very large steelworks from German bombers.

I can get no date but the crash site given is in the town centre close to the steelworks. Up to now I can't confirm the crash but one of the stories says that the pilot was "a young Polish boy" and the party of soldiers who attended the scene wanted to shoot him to put him out of his misery because they could not get him out of the burning wreck, but their officer wouldn't allow it and he
died in agony.

There were a lot of RAF Stations within a few minutes flying time of the town and I know there were Poles at Tranwell and Morpeth. I am still trying to prove that the crash occurred but I would appreciate any ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment